Date:	Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:30:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@...oo.com.au>
cc:	Christoph Lameter <clameter@....com>, Mel Gorman <mel@...net.ie>,
	andrea@...e.de, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
	William Lee Irwin III <wli@...omorphy.com>,
	David Chinner <dgc@....com>,
	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>,
	Badari Pulavarty <pbadari@...il.com>,
	Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@...il.com>,
	Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@...il.com>,
	swin wang <wangswin@...il.com>, totty.lu@...il.com,
	hugh@...itas.com, joern@...ybastard.org
Subject: Re: [00/41] Large Blocksize Support V7 (adds memmap support)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

> ROFL! Yeah of course, how could I have forgotten about our trusty OOM killer
> as the solution to the fragmentation problem? It would only have been funnier
> if you had said to reboot every so often when memory gets fragmented :)

Can we please stop this *idiotic* thread.

Nick, you and some others seem to be arguing based on a totally flawed
base, namely:
 - we can guarantee anything at all in the VM
 - we even care about the 16kB blocksize
 - second-class citizenry is "bad"

The fact is, *none* of those things are true. The VM doesn't guarantee
anything, and is already very much about statistics in many places. You
seem to be arguing as if Christoph was introducing something new and
unacceptable, when it's largely just more of the same.

And the fact is, nobody but SGI customers would ever want the 16kB
blocksize. IOW - NONE OF THIS MATTERS!

Can you guys stop this inane thread already, or at least take it private
between you guys, instead of forcing everybody else to listen in on your
flamefest.

			Linus