Date:	Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:34:47 +0100
From:	Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@....ac.uk>
To:	Christoph Lameter <clameter@....com>
Cc:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>, Mel Gorman <mel@...net.ie>,
	David Chinner <dgc@....com>,
	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [00/17] [RFC] Virtual Compound Page Support

Hi Christoph,

On 19 Sep 2007, at 04:36, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> Currently there is a strong tendency to avoid larger page
> allocations in
> the kernel because of past fragmentation issues and the current
> defragmentation methods are still evolving. It is not clear to what
> extend
> they can provide reliable allocations for higher order pages (plus the
> definition of "reliable" seems to be in the eye of the beholder).
>
> Currently we use vmalloc allocations in many locations to provide a
> safe
> way to allocate larger arrays. That is due to the danger of higher
> order
> allocations failing. Virtual Compound pages allow the use of regular
> page allocator allocations that will fall back only if there is an
> actual
> problem with acquiring a higher order page.
>
> This patch set provides a way for a higher page allocation to fall
> back.
> Instead of a physically contiguous page a virtually contiguous page
> is provided. The functionality of the vmalloc layer is used to provide
> the necessary page tables and control structures to establish a
> virtually
> contiguous area.

I like this a lot.  It will get rid of all the silly games we have to
play when needing both large allocations and efficient allocations
where possible.  In NTFS I can then just allocated higher order pages
instead of having to mess about with the allocation size and
allocating a single page if the requested size is <= PAGE_SIZE or
using vmalloc() if the size is bigger.  And it will make it faster
because a lot of the time a higher order page allocation will succeed
with your patchset without resorting to vmalloc() so that will be a
lot faster.

So where I currently have fs/ntfs/malloc.h the below mess I could get
rid of it completely and just use the normal page allocator/
deallocator instead...

static inline void *__ntfs_malloc(unsigned long size, gfp_t gfp_mask)
{
         if (likely(size <= PAGE_SIZE)) {
                 BUG_ON(!size);
                 /* kmalloc() has per-CPU caches so is faster for
now. */
                 return kmalloc(PAGE_SIZE, gfp_mask & ~__GFP_HIGHMEM);
                 /* return (void *)__get_free_page(gfp_mask); */
         }
         if (likely(size >> PAGE_SHIFT < num_physpages))
                 return __vmalloc(size, gfp_mask, PAGE_KERNEL);
         return NULL;
}

And other places in the kernel can make use of the same.  I think XFS
does very similar things to NTFS in terms of larger allocations at
least and there are probably more places I don't know about off the
top of my head...

I am looking forward to your patchset going into mainline.  (-:

Best regards,

	Anton

Best regards,

	Anton