Date:	Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:08:08 +0200
From:	Matthias Hensler <matthias@...se.de>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Chuck Ebbert <cebbert@...hat.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	richard kennedy <richard@....demon.co.uk>,
	Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>
Subject: Re: Processes spinning forever, apparently in lock_timer_base()?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 03:36:54PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> That's all a bit crappy if the wrong races happen and some other task
> is somehow exceeding the dirty limits each time this task polls them.
> Seems unlikely that such a condition would persist forever.

How exactly do you define forever? It looks to me, that this condition
never resolves on its own, at least not in a window of several hours
(the system used to get stuck around 3am and was normally rebooted
between 7am and 8am, so at least hours are not enough to have the problem
resolve on its own).

> So the question is, why do we have large amounts of dirty pages for
> one disk which appear to be sitting there not getting written?

Unfortunately I have no idea. The full stacktrace for all processes was
attached to the original bugreport, maybe that can give a clue to that.

> Do we know if there's any writeout at all happening when the system is
> in this state?

Not sure about that. The system is responsible on a still open SSH
session, allowing several tasks still to be executed. However, that SSH
session gets stuck very fast if the wrong commands are executed. New
logins are not possible (Connection is akzepted but resulting in a
timeout 60 seconds later, so most likely /bin/login is not able to log
into wtmp).

From all that I suspect that there is no more write activity on that
system, but cannot say for sure.

> Did anyone try running /bin/sync when the system is in this state?

I did not, no.

Regards,
Matthias