Date:	Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:15:37 -0700
From:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
CC:	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, jikos@...os.cz
Subject: Re: video resume stuff

Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm thinking about how to clean up video resume/how to get it to work
> for non-VESA video modes (jikos' case).
>
> I guess the cleanest solution would be to just call set_mode from
> wakeup.S.... but that is not as easy as I imagined, because bootup
> code seems to be compiled separately.
>
> Is there some easy way to retain bootup code in memory, so that wakeup
> can use it? Or is there some easy solution I'm missing?

No, not really.  The setup code is not even part of the kernel binary
proper, and may not even have been run under certain circumstances.

The "easy" solution is to link it in again, which seems to be what
you're doing.  Now, currently the boot code is compiled after vmlinux is
complete, so some of the build ordering would have to be changed and/or
some of the code rearranged.

I suggest we tackle this *after* the x86 merge.

	-hpa