Date:	Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:01:32 -0400
From:	Rick Niles <fniles@...pooh.org>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Help with rtc to hpet conversion of OSGPS driver

I'm the Linux maintainer for the OSGPS (open source GPS) project.  Our
last release version was based off Fedora 5 and since we have had some
hardware issues with our on board interrupt line I was using the RTC
interrupt to service the tracking loops.  I've been trying to make the
driver work with Fedora 7 and the 2.6.22 kernel, but the rtc_register()
and other RTC functions seems to have been removed. I see they've been
replaced by the corresponding HPET functions, which is great. However,
hpet_register() always returns -16 (EBUSY).  This could be because I
lack the correct hardware (I'm running 32-bit Linux on a Athlon64 with
an NVIDIA chipset) or some other reason.

I'm looking for any help here.   The RTC version of the code can be
viewed at:
http://osgps.cvs.sourceforge.net/osgps/osgps/linuxmod.c?revision=1.12&view=markup

Can device drivers still use the real-time clock at all?  Does the
tickless kernel effect this at all?

Thanks for any help you can lend,
Rick Niles.