Date:	Thu, 18 Oct 2007 03:30:11 -0400
From:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
To:	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>
CC:	Mark Lord <lkml@....ca>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	fujita.tomonori@....ntt.co.jp, mingo@...e.hu,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk,
	tomof@....org
Subject: Re: [bug] ata subsystem related crash with latest -git

Jens Axboe wrote:

>>> However, Jens's patch from that same thread:
>>>     http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/17/269
>>> ..allowed me to boot and post this followup message from -git12
>>> Jeff: try that one.
>> That's already in my upstream kernel, here.  commits
>> ba951841ceb7fa5b06ad48caa5270cc2ae17941e and
>> a3bec5c5aea0da263111c4d8f8eabc1f8560d7bf.
>>
>> sata_mv and sata_nv still reliably poop themselves here, whereas its rock
>> solid with 2.6.23.1.  Sounds like different issues from yours, as I see a
>> stream of SATA errors on the bad kernels, errors which are often a symptom
>> of something whacked in the DMA engine (misprogramming causes the silicon
>> to generate bogus FIS's, which the device then chokes on)
>
> Do you know if this poop involves the segment padding that sometimes
> goes on in libata?

Definitely not, in this case -- it's all ATA, nothing ATAPI.

It throws SError { Handshk } which then triggers the EH to reset the
link, and so it goes, over and over :)  The same thing happens when I
intentionally screw up the PRD tables.  Not much more data points than
that, so far.

I'll try the SCSI_MAX_SG_SEGMENTS patch too, to see if that fixes things.

	Jeff