Date:	Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:34:11 +0200
From:	Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Why are ipmi modules being loaded?

Last week I sent this same question to the openipmi-developer list on
sourceforge, but did not get any replies.
Does anyone here know the answer?

========
AFAICT my system does not support ipmi, but despite that fact something is

The second fails, but the first stays loaded. From dmesg:
ipmi message handler version 39.1
[...]
ipmi_si: Trying PCI-specified kcs state machine at mem address 0x90220000,
slave address 0x0, irq 19
ipmi_si: There appears to be no BMC at this location
ipmi_si: Unable to find any System Interface(s)

This results in powertop showing:
   Top causes for wakeups:
   [...]
      2.1% ( 10.0)   <kernel module> : ipmi_init_msghandler (ipmi_timeout)

AFAICT from modules.pcimap, ipmi_si should only be loaded for PCI ID
[103c:121a] (which I don't have), or for devices with class c0700 (which I
also don't have).
I also cannot find anything in /etc that could be responsible.

So I wonder what _is_ responsible for trying to load the ipmi modules on my
system and if that shouldn't be avoided.

My system is Debian testing running 2.6.23.

Cheers,
Frans Pop

View attachment "lspci.txt" of type "text/plain" (2399 bytes)