Date:	Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:46:42 -0400
From:	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>
To:	Ian Kent <raven@...maw.net>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.23-mm1 - autofs broken

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:45:19 +0800
Ian Kent <raven@...maw.net> wrote:

> > Oct 20 00:38:52 kenny automount[2293]: cache_readlock: mapent cache
> > rwlock lock failed
>
> This is quite strange, normally it should never fail and, in all the
> time version 5 has been available the maximum number of read locks has
> never been exceeded.
>
> Is there anything unusual going on like a server down causing autofs
> to issue a number of mounts that are all waiting to time out?

Not that I know.  If I reboot the system into 2.6.23 or 2.6.23-git,
things work just fine though.  That makes me think the server is not
the issue.

> > Oct 20 00:38:52 kenny automount[2293]: unexpected pthreads error:
> > 11 at 65 in cache.c
>
> Mmm .. if this is a genuine autofs issue maybe I need to handle EAGAIN
> returns but that would mean blocking which probably isn't good and I'd
> rather not if we can avoid it.

I do not know if this an autofs issue or the result of something
else in 2.6.23-mm1.

> > I am not sure if this is due to autofs changes or changes in some
> > other code that was merged.  If you can think of any suspicious
> > change that I should test, please let me know.
> >

> Is there anything in the log, an autofs4 kernel trace perhaps?

Nope, the only two lines that I found in the log are above...

Nothing in dmesg either.