Date:	Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:11:29 +0200
From:	Volker Sauer <vsauer@....tu-darmstadt.de>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	adi@...tpi.com
Subject: D-Link DFE-580TX and snmpd problems, who's maintainer of
	sundance.c ?

Hi,

there already was a thread on this topic in summer but with no result:

http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/4b433f881e3585b2/a36ccba40ef2e59d?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=Re%3A+D-Link+DFE-580TX+4+port+NIC+problems#a36ccba40ef2e59d

Adi tracked down, that the messages in the syslog (in my case appearing
exactly every 30 seconds), come from snmpd running on the same machine
calling SIOCDEVPRIVATE.

This behaviour still exists in 2.6.23.1

I'm neither a skilled C-programmer nor a kernel-expert, but looking at
drivers/net/sundance.c:1605 I see, that SIOCDEVPRIVATE does
nothing else then printing this debug message.

So the questions is: why? What is this good for?
And: can I remove it? I can not abandon snmpd and the messages spam my
syslog.
Or: do I have to patch snmpd?

Regards
Volker

-> Please CC: me, I'm not on the list <-

P.S.: there's no one in the MAINTAINERS file for sundance.c. Is someone
here who still cares about this driver?

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)