Date:	Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:57:06 +0100
From:	Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@....ac.uk>
To:	Mike Waychison <mikew@...gle.com>
Cc:	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 0/6][RFC] Cleanup FIBMAP

Hi,

->bmap is ugly and horrible!  If you have to do this at the very least
please cause ->bmap64 to be able to return error values in case the
file system failed to get the information or indeed such information
does not exist as is the case for compressed and encrypted files for
example and also for small files that are inside the on-disk inode
(NTFS resident files and reiserfs packed tails are examples of this).

And another of my pet peeves with ->bmap is that it uses 0 to mean
"sparse" which causes a conflict on NTFS at least as block zero is
part of the $Boot system file so it is a real, valid block...  NTFS
uses -1 to denote sparse blocks internally.

Best regards,

	Anton

Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/