Date:	Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:59:49 +0100
From:	Samuel Tardieu <sam@...1149.net>
To:	"marco gaddoni" <marco.gaddoni@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: kernel BUG at mm/slab.c:597!

>>>>> "marco" == marco gaddoni <marco.gaddoni@...il.com> writes:

marco> i got this oops on my server.  the kernel is a
marco> 2.6.21-2-686 from the debian.

marco> this is an ext3 filesystem on a raid0 array of 2 ide disks.
marco> got the oops while doing a big rm.

marco> any idea on the possible cause?

Marco,

I also had one of these with 2.6.21 or around. Unfortunately, I did a
fsck (which solved it) before I could pinpoint the problem. It was on
a raid1 array with 2 sata disks and an ext3 filesystem so it may be
related either to the md driver, to the ext3 filesystem or something
else.

You can probably make the problem go away with a simple fsck, but if
you want to help find the cause of the problem, you can do one of the
following instead:

  - do a full copy (using dd) of your filesystem; however, if you're
    using a raid0 array, it may be because the filesystem is very
    large;

  - compile and boot a 2.6.24-rc1 kernel and see if the "rm" still
    generates a oops and help debug the problem.

 Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@...1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/