Date:	Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:10:47 +0000
From:	mel@...net.ie (Mel Gorman)
To:	Christoph Lameter <clameter@....com>
Cc:	akpm@...ux-foundatin.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: [patch 02/23] SLUB: Rename NUMA defrag_ratio to remote_node_defrag_ratio

On (08/11/07 10:56), Christoph Lameter didst pronounce:
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Mel Gorman wrote:
>
> > On (06/11/07 17:11), Christoph Lameter didst pronounce:
> > > We need the defrag ratio for the non NUMA situation now. The NUMA defrag works
> > > by allocating objects from partial slabs on remote nodes. Rename it to
> > >
> > > 	remote_node_defrag_ratio
> > >

> > I'm not too keen on the defrag name here largely because I cannot tell what
> > it has to do with defragmention or ratios. It's really about working out
> > when it is better to pack objects into a remote slab than reclaim objects
> > from a local slab, right? It's also not clear what it is a ratio of what to
> > what. I thought it might be clock cycles but that isn't very clear either.
> > If we are renaming this can it be something like remote_packing_cost_limit ?
>
> In a NUMA situation we have a choice between
>
> 1. Allocating a page from the local node (which consumes more memory and
> is advantageous performance wise.
>
> 2. Not allocating from the local node but see if any other node has
>    available partially allocated slabs. If we allocate from them then
>    we save memory and reduce the amount of partial slabs on the remote
>    node. Thus the fragmentation ratio is reduced.

Ok, I get the logic somewhat now, thanks.

> > How about
> >
> > /*
> >  * When packing objects into slabs, it may become necessary to
> >  * reclaim objects on a local slab or allocate from a remote node.
> >  * The remote_packing_cost_limit is the maximum cost of remote
> >  * accesses that should be paid before it becomes worthwhile to
> >  * reclaim instead
> >  */
> > int remote_packing_cost_limit;
> >
> > ?
>
> That is not what this is about. And the functionality has been in SLUB
> since the beginning.

Yeah, my understanding of SLUB is crap. Sorry for the noise.

Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student                          Linux Technology Center
University of Limerick                         IBM Dublin Software Lab