Date:	Tue, 13 Nov 2007 02:25:15 +0800
From:	"Rogelio M. Serrano Jr." <rogelio@...global.net>
Cc:	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [poll] Is the megafreeze development model broken?

Adrian Bunk wrote:

>> The core libc and supporting libraries is the core. and the toolchain
>> the core dev. Those can be updated twice or even once a year. The kernel
>> can be updated once a month if you like.
>>

> A new release of the Linux kernel has more than half a million lines of
> code changed. If you do any estimates based on how many lines of changed
> code equal one newly introduced bug you see the problem...
>
> And the difference between an upstream kernel and a distribution kernel
> are 3-6 months of testing and bugfixing.

True. But the libc and toolchain dont need to be as "dynamic".

>> I stopped using debian myself and used DIY linux based toolchain and
>> libc. Thats the stable core that i have been using for 4 months. If
>> debian can reduce the footprint of the "stable core" and do monthly
>> releases of package bundles i will use it again.
>>

> Geeks like you and me want the latest software
> (I'm using Debian unstable/testing).
>
> But most users want a Linux installation that simply works - and this
> includes all software on the system at all times.

Yeah me too. Sidux and mepis does not do megafreezes. I think whats
needed is to build and test groups of packages that work closely
together and release them frequently as a group.

--
Democracy is about two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for dinner.

View attachment "rogelio.vcf" of type "text/x-vcard" (333 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (253 bytes)