Date:	Fri, 16 Nov 2007 00:48:51 +0000
From:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>,
	Bron Gondwana <brong@...tmail.fm>,
	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>,
	robm@...tmail.fm, riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@....ac.uk>
Subject: Re: mmap dirty limits on 32 bit kernels (Was: [BUG] New Kernel
 Bugs)

> So the _only_ explanation today for 12GB on a 32-bit machine is
>  (a) insanity
> or
>  (b) being so lazy as to not bother to upgrade
> and in either case, my personal reaction is "I'm *not* crazy, and yes, I'm
> lazy too, and I can't give a rats *ss about those problems".

12GB-16GB worked well historically so its a regression. Above 16GB its
all utterly mad.

You forgot reason (c) though

(c) 32bit is a tested approved certified etc environment - essentially
conservativsm and paranoia, and its hard to explain to some of these
people that the right answer really is less RAM or 64bit, especially as
they may already know it but have a 12 month process to prove and certify
a system configuration.

> HIGHMEM was a mistake in the first place. It's one that we can live with,
> but I refuse to support it more than it needs to be supported. And 12GB is
> *way* past the end of what is worth supporting.

Highmem to 4GB was sensible. Highmem to 8GB was pushing it.

Alan