Date:	Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:35:16 +0100
From:	devzero@....de
To:	ewanm89@...glemail.com
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: distro specific kernels vs vanilla kernel and how to compare

>I would also like to see something like this
nice to get positive feedback, thanks :)

>as some work I'm doing on
>working some funny networking (unfortunately IT department don't have
>common sense) across multiple distros.

so if _you_ have common sense, it`s up to you alone to make your own life easier and you should try hard to change their mind.
how can you make sure your code is good and stable if other`s don`t review it ?
why should you constantly work on porting your code to the next kernel release ?
even worse, you need to port it to different vendor specific kernels. that`s a real waste of time...
please try changing their minds and if you need some help/arguments i`m sure there are people who can help you freeing the source ! ;)
maybe you will find some at http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html

regards
roland

List:       linux-kernel
From:       ewanm89 <ewanm89 () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-17 5:17:56
[Download message RAW]

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:25:27 +0100
Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org> wrote:

> devzero@....de writes:
>
> > does somebody know if there is a website or a project for giving
> > comfortable and deeper insight into what`s specific to distro`s
> > kernels and what`s their difference to vanilla kernel ?
> >
> > i mean some way to have some transparancy to what different distro
> > vendors add to vanilla kernel sources and thus turning it into
> > their own specific version.
>
> There used to be such a page at kernelnewbies, but at some point it
> disappeared.
>
> I agree it would be a useful resource.
>
> -Andi
> -
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@...r.kernel.org

I would also like to see something like this, as some work I'm doing on
working some funny networking (unfortunately IT department don't have
common sense) across multiple distros. Tracking the kernel patche
differences between the distros seems to be the hardest part (comparing
them to find what's needed for all distros to work).

--
Ewan Marshall (ewanm89)