Date:	Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:50:48 -0500
From:	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>
To:	Phillip Lougher <phillip@...gher.demon.co.uk>
Cc:	maximilian attems <max@...o.at>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANN] Squashfs 3.3 released

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 04:32:00PM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
 > maximilian attems wrote:
 > > On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:13:14AM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
 > >
 > >> The next stage after this release is to fix the one remaining blocking issue
 > >> (filesystem endianness), and then try to get Squashfs mainlined into the
 > >> Linux kernel again.
 > >>

 > > that would be very cool!
 >
 > Yes, it would be cool :)  Five years is a long time to maintain
 > something out of tree, especially recently when there's been
 > so many minor changes to the VFS interface between kernel releases.
 >
 > > with my hat as debian kernel maintainer i'd be very relieved to see it
 > > mainlined. i don't know of any major distro that doesn't ship it.
 > >

 > I don't know of any major distro that doesn't ship Squashfs either
 > (except arguably Slackware).  Putting my other hat on (one of the
 > Ubuntu kernel maintainers) I don't think Squashfs has caused
 > distros that many problems because it is an easy patch to apply
 > (it doesn't touch that many kernel files), but it is always good
 > to minimise the differences from the stock kernel.org kernel.

The biggest problem we've seen with it (asides from having to rediff
it every time we rebase when there isn't a newer upstream) is complaints
along the lines of "my Fedora 7 kernel can't unpack squashfs images
from Fedora 5"
(s/Fedora 5/other random older distros/ )

If the format is now stable however, it would be great to get it upstream.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk