Date:	Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:53:53 +1300
From:	Michael Cree <mcree@...on.net.nz>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	rct@...rkin.frus.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, rjw@...k.pl,
	rth@...ddle.net, ink@...assic.park.msu.ru,
	linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@...y.org>,
	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Subject: Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 can't see sd partitions on Alpha

On 1/12/2007, at 11:42 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:30:01 +1300
> Michael Cree <mcree@...on.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> Bob Tracy wrote:
>>>>
>>>  Here's
>>> hoping someone else is seeing this or can replicate it in the
>>> meantime.
>>
>> Snap.
>>
>> 2.6.24-rc2 works fine.   2.6.24-rc3 boots on Alpha but once /dev is
>> populated no partitions of the scsi sub-system are seen.  Looks
>> like ide
>> sub-system similarly affected.

[snip]

>> eth0: Digital DS21142/43 Tulip rev 65 at Port 0x200009400,
>> 08:00:2b:87:4c:b0, IRQ 45.
>> Linux video capture interface: v2.00
>> scsi_id[402]: scsi_id: unable to access '/block'
>
> I guess this is where things go bad.

Yes, that is what I thought too.

> scsi_id is part of udev.  Perhaps some sysfs nodes aren't being
> created
> correctly.
>
> Random guess: what is your setting of CONFIG_SCSI_SCAN_ASYNC and what
> happens if you invert it?

Is set to Y.  Changed it to N and recompiled kernel and restarted.
No change.  Same problems remain.

I now realise that not only SCSI drive device nodes are not appearing
in /dev, but all disc nodes are not appearing.

In my case all of fd0, hde (IDE disc), hdf (CD/DVD), sda (SCSI disc),
sdb (SATA disc), sdc (memory card reader), and their accompanying
partition nodes, do not get made in /dev.

I'm not familiar with sysfs so don't know what what I should be
looking for in particular, but I did have a quick noisy around /sys
and noted that the above mentioned devices are all appearing at /sys/
block with what appeared to be sensible information in the
subdirectories thereof.

Sorry, but it is unlikely that I'll be able to look further into this
problem at the moment as I am running a conference this week and the
storm is about to hit...

Cheers
Michael.