Date:	Thu, 6 Dec 2007 23:07:08 -0600 (CST)
From:	rct@...s.com (Bob Tracy)
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
CC:	Bob Tracy <rct@...s.com>, mingo@...e.hu, mcree@...on.net.nz,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, rjw@...k.pl, rth@...ddle.net,
	ink@...assic.park.msu.ru, linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org,
	kay.sievers@...y.org, greg@...ah.com
Subject: Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 can't see sd partitions on Alpha

Andrew Morton wrote:
> commit 6f37ac793d6ba7b35d338f791974166f67fdd9ba
> Merge: 2f1f53b... d90bf5a...
> Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...dy.linux-foundation.org>
> Date:   Wed Nov 14 18:51:48 2007 -0800
>
>     Merge branch 'master' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/n
>
>     * 'master' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6:
>       [NET]: rt_check_expire() can take a long time, add a cond_resched()
>       [ISDN] sc: Really, really fix warning
>       [ISDN] sc: Fix sndpkt to have the correct number of arguments
>       [TCP] FRTO: Clear frto_highmark only after process_frto that uses it
>       [NET]: Remove notifier block from chain when register_netdevice_notifier f
>       [FS_ENET]: Fix module build.
>       [TCP]: Make sure write_queue_from does not begin with NULL ptr
>       [TCP]: Fix size calculation in sk_stream_alloc_pskb
>       [S2IO]: Fixed memory leak when MSI-X vector allocation fails
>       [BONDING]: Fix resource use after free
>       [SYSCTL]: Fix warning for token-ring from sysctl checker
>       [NET] random : secure_tcp_sequence_number should not assume CONFIG_KTIME_S
>       [IWLWIFI]: Not correctly dealing with hotunplug.
>       [TCP] FRTO: Plug potential LOST-bit leak
>       [TCP] FRTO: Limit snd_cwnd if TCP was application limited
>       [E1000]: Fix schedule while atomic when called from mii-tool.
>       [NETX]: Fix build failure added by 2.6.24 statistics cleanup.
>       [EP93xx_ETH]: Build fix after 2.6.24 NAPI changes.
>       [PKT_SCHED]: Check subqueue status before calling hard_start_xmit
>
> I'm struggling to see how any of those could have broken block device
> mounting on alpha.  Are you sure you bisected right?

Based on what's in that commit, it *does* appear something went wrong
with bisection.  If the implicated commit is the next one in time
sequence relative to

# good: [2f1f53bdc6531696934f6ee7bbdfa2ab4f4f62a3] CRISv10 fasttimer: Scrap INLINE and name timeval_cmp better

then the test of whether I bisected correctly is as simple as applying
the commit and seeing if things break, because I'm running on the
kernel corresponding to 2f1f53bdc6531696934f6ee7bbdfa2ab4f4f62a3 right
now.  Let me give that a try and I'll report back.  Worst case, I'll
have to start over and write off the past four days...

Sorry about this...