Date:	Fri, 07 Dec 2007 00:38:48 -0500
From:	Ed Sweetman <safemode2@...cast.net>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: cpuidle, dynticks compatible or no?

I would think that they are compatible. I'm using 2.6.24-rc4-mm1 and I
dont get any output in dmesg regarding dynamic ticks being in use via
the pmtmr like in old posts i've seen online.  I was wondering if this
output has been removed or if there is another way to determine if
dynticks are active?

I didn't notice any change in temperature when i was idle compared to
previous kernel versions.

hrtimers were detected and are in use correctly, cpu idle shows up in
dmesg as being enabled and working (though i have no idea what menu and
such governor means) nothing about dynticks though.   my kernel  cmd
line doesn't contain anything that disables acpi or apic functions.

In /proc/timer_list   i do get this line
.nohz_mode      : 2

i haven't seen anything that describes what nohz modes are and what 2
means though.

any heads up to some documentation on dynticks and cpuidle would be
appreciated.  All i could find on dynticks are just old announces on
obscolete patches.

the following is the contents of /proc/interrupts.  The system is
heavily loaded right now and has been for a day or so, so it isn't going
to be helpful to see huge readings for idle clocks.

           CPU0       CPU1
  0:         49          0   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:          0          2   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  8:          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc
  9:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
 12:          0          3   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
 14:         11       2932   IO-APIC-edge      libata
 15:          0         57   IO-APIC-edge      libata
 18:      15123    2083206   IO-APIC-fasteoi   nvidia
 20:       1513     190353   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ohci_hcd:usb2
 21:          0          3   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1
 22:      10117     979752   IO-APIC-fasteoi   sata_nv
 23:      89803   37633869   IO-APIC-fasteoi   NVidia CK804, eth0
NMI:          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
LOC:   42644038   45872897   Local timer interrupts
RES:    2093691    1302865   Rescheduling interrupts
CAL:        487         62   function call interrupts
TLB:       1546       1237   TLB shootdowns
TRM:          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
THR:          0          0   Threshold APIC interrupts
SPU:          0          0   Spurious interrupts
ERR:          0

View attachment ".config" of type "text/plain" (36795 bytes)