Date:	Sat, 08 Dec 2007 00:28:39 -0500
From:	Ed Sweetman <safemode2@...cast.net>
To:	Robert Hancock <hancockr@...w.ca>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: x86_64 dynticks not working   prev: cpuidle, dynticks compatible
 or no?

Ed Sweetman wrote:
> Robert Hancock wrote:
>> Ed Sweetman wrote:
>>> System is idle now, previously it was doing something i couldn't
>>> halt at the time.  I'm looking at "Local timer interrupts" in the
>>> "Loc:" section of /proc/interrupts.
>>> Across 1 second while the system is pretty much idle, i still get
>>> 300 interrupts. My HZ variable is set to 300 in the kernel config,
>>> so this is expected but I was under the assumption that
>>> dynticks/tickless being compiled in would cause that to be much lower.
>>>
>>> Am I reading the wrong section of /proc/interrupts  to verify if
>>> dynticks is working or not? Again, i see no difference in cpu temp
>>> at all.
>>
>> Try running powertop ( http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/ )
>> and see what it reports.
>>
>> I don't think dynticks will generally save huge amounts of power on a
>> typical desktop machine. The big gains come from being able to stay
>> in deep sleep C-states (C2/C3) for longer periods of time, but most
>> desktop machines only enable sleep states down to C1.
>>
> I tried running powertop, it complains about not having timer
> statistics, I looked throughout the kernel config for a timer stat
> option, but can't find one.
>
> I didn't have hpet compiled in, i'm not sure if this is required but a
> lot of places seem to suggest hpet and high precision timer and
> tickless be compiled together.  I also disabled cpuidle and i'll
> reboot and try that.

read too fast through the powertop error message.  timer stat info is in
kernel_debug option.  Which i did not compile in this latest kernel
again.   Sorry.

Though, with hpet and such, i still see no measurable difference or any
sort of evidence that ticks are being skipped (comparing
/proc/interrupts across sleep 1s;)