Date:	Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:17:10 +0000
From:	Matthew Bloch <matthew@...emark.co.uk>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject:  Re: Testing RAM from userspace / question about memmap= arguments

Jon Masters wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 17:06 +0000, Matthew Bloch wrote:
>
>> I can see a few potential problems, but since my understanding of the
>> low-level memory mapping is muddy at best, I won't speculate; I'd just
>> appreciate any more expert views on whether this does work, or could be
>> made to work.
>
> Yo,
>
> I don't think your testing approach is thorough enough. Clearly (knowing
> your line of business - as a virtual machine provider), you want to do
> pre-production testing as part of your provisioning. I would suggest
> instead of using mlock() from userspace of simply writing a kernel
> module that does this for every page of available memory.

Yes this is to improve the efficiency of server burn-ins.  I would
consider a kernel module, but I still wouldn't be able to test the
memory in which the kernel is sitting, which is my problem.  I'm not
sure even a kernel module could reliably test the memory in which it is
residing (memtest86+ relocates itself to do this).  Also I don't see how
  userspace testing is any less thorough than doing it in the kernel; I
just need a creative way of accessing every single page of memory.

I may do some experiments with the memmap args, some bad RAM and
shuffling it between DIMM sockets when I have the time :)

--
Matthew