Date:	Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:23:51 -0500
From:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To:	Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@...ove.SAKURA.ne.jp>
Cc:	serue@...ibm.com, linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: TOMOYO Linux Security Goal

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:32:09 +0900, Tetsuo Handa said:

> You can run your system with only policy collected by learning mode.
> Thus, you basically don't need manual intervention.
> But since there are randomly named files (i.e. temporary files),
> you pay a little time to modify policy.
>
> The learning mode is to save time for permitting commonly accessed resources.
> Administrator reviews policy collected by learning mode. Thus the readability
> of policy is important so that administrator can understand what he/she is
> going to allow or reject.

Please make a *big* notation someplace that "learning mode" is quite likely to
*not* produce a totally correct policy.  In particular, it won't build rules for
infrequently used code paths (such as error handling) unless you find a way to
exercise those paths while in learning mode.

Particularly fun - when learning mode doesn't create an entry for the logfile
for I/O errors.  Then when one actually happens, you have no idea what it was...