Date:	Wed, 02 Jan 2008 23:25:07 -0500
From:	Mark Lord <lkml@....ca>
To:	"Pallipadi, Venkatesh" <venkatesh.pallipadi@...el.com>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>, abelay@...ell.com,
	lenb@...nel.org, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: + restore-missing-sysfs-max_cstate-attr.patch added to -mm tree

Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:

> [...]
..

I'm fine with switching to a new interface, and even supplying my own
kernel module to do so.  But it doesn't produce the required effect
on the single-core machine we just switched over to 2.6.24
(and then promptly switched back again!).

There should be some way to get it to work with similar minimal latency
to the old "echo 1 > max_cstate" logic, but I've yet to discover it.

I wonder if the "new" latency interfaces actually work ?

> As I saw it 6 weeks back, max_cstate option works as a boot parameter.
..

That's no good.  It has to be changeable on the fly, rather than requiring
the machine be rebooted each time.

Cheers