Date:	Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:30:31 +0100
From:	Helge Hafting <helge.hafting@...el.hist.no>
To:	Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@...d.de>
CC:	Tuomo Valkonen <tuomov@....fi>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: The ext3 way of journalling

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
>>> Don't use udev then. Good old static dev works fine if you have a fixed
>>> set of devices.
>>>
>> It doesn't, with the unpredictable SCSI mapping insanity.
>>

> That what LABEL und UUID-Support in mount is for.
>
> You label the filesystems (e2label for ext2 and ext3) and use that label to mount them
>
> - fstab -
> LABEL=root  /        xfs     defaults,noatime	0 1
> LABEL=boot  /boot    ext2    defaults,noatime	0 2

Would've been nice if they worked, but they don't.

Disks should be so easy to identify uniquely, because they have
storage space that can be used for that label.

So I tried (debian linux, last year).

Mount by label was fine, of course.
Until the 33rd reboot, when it was decided that a
fsck was necessary "just to be safe".  The problem was that fsck
fail to find the correct device when /etc/fstab specifies a label
instead of a device. The boot failed, reboot with init=/bin/sh
and replace the dysfunctional labels with oldfashioned device names.

I can live with this kind of problem on my desktop, but this machine
was going to be a internet router for a customer, so occational
boot failure requiring intervention was not an option.

Helge Hafting