Date:	Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:56:12 +0100
From:	Matthew <jackdachef@...il.com>
To:	"Ingo Molnar" <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	"Ed Tomlinson" <edt@....ca>, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Thomas Gleixner" <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Fwd: laptop / computer hardlocks during execution of 32bit applications(binaries) on 64bit system (Gentoo)

> > My kernel is _not_ tainted. [...]

this time my kernel isn't tainted either (comm: thunderbird-bin Not
tainted; http://kerneloftruth.neucode.org/other/crash_ia32_64/not_tainted/moto_0041.jpg)
 but still hardlocks:
http://kerneloftruth.neucode.org/other/crash_ia32_64/not_tainted/

> ok, good. A series of questions:
>
> - can you reproduce it from the VGA console?

yes

> - if yes, does booting with "nmi_watchdog=2 idle=poll" give you a
>   working NMI watchdog? (working NMI watchdog means the NMI counts
>   increase for all cores in /proc/interrupts).

no, I get err=-16
(watchdog is broken: cat /proc/interrupts | grep NMI reveals nothing)

> if still 'yes', then try to reproduce the hard hang on the VGA text
> console

yes, despite broken watchdog

steps:
1) startx
2) change to tty2, log in; DISPLAY:=0 thunderbird-bin
3) wait until it hardlocks

known apps to trigger that locking:
- realplayer
- thunderbird-bin (2.0.0.9)
- mozilla-firefox-bin (2.0.0.11)
(all included in portage-tree)

apps not triggering:
- skype (not tested that thoroughly (yet))
- ...

> - do you perhaps get an NMI backtrace printed within 1-2 minutes
> after the hard hang happens? If yes then take a photo of that or write
> it down.

only backtrace so far (once):
http://kerneloftruth.neucode.org/other/crash_ia32_64/moto_0040.jpg

I'll tar the whole kernel-directory & modules so that you'll be able
to reproduce it more easily (if wanted), is there a place where I
could upload it (it weighs around 300-400 MBs so that'll take some
time ;) )
I got work to do so that'll be all for now, I hope you'll be able to
find the culprit soon ...

>         Ingo

Mat