Date:	Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:16:06 -0600
From:	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com>
To:	Filippos Papadopoulos <psybases@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org, Chuck Ebbert <cebbert@...hat.com>,
	Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@...asas.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: INITIO scsi driver fails to work properly

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 14:28 +0200, Filippos Papadopoulos wrote:
> On 1/11/08, James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 18:44 +0200, Filippos Papadopoulos wrote:

> > > Yes it works under 2.6.16.13.  See the beginning of this thread, i
> > > mention there some things about newer versions.
> >
> > Thanks, actually, I see this:
> >
> > > I tried to install OpenSUSE 10.3 (kernel 2.6.22.5) and the latest
> > > OpenSUSE 11.0 Alpha 0  (kernel 2.6.24-rc4) but although the initio
> > > drivergets loaded during the installation process, yast reports that no hard
> > > disk is found.
> >
> > Could you try with a vanilla 2.6.22 kernel?  The reason for all of this
> > is that 2.6.22 predates Alan's conversion of this driver (which was my
> > 95% candidate for the source of the bug).  I want you to try the vanilla
> > kernel just in case the opensuse one contains a backport.
>

> Yes you are right. I compiled the vanilla 2.6.22 and initio driver works.
> Tell me if you want to apply any patch to it.

That's good news ... at least we know where the issue lies; now the
problem comes: there are two candidate patches for this issue: Alan's
driver update patch and Tomo's accessors patch.  Unfortunately, due to
merge conflicts the two are pretty hopelessly intertwined.  I think I
already spotted one bug in the accessor conversion, so I'll look at that
again.  Alan's also going to acquire an inito board and retest his
conversions.

I'm afraid it might be a while before we have anything for you to test.

James