Date:	Fri, 18 Jan 2008 01:04:04 -0800
From:	Harvey Harrison <harvey.harrison@...il.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Zan Lynx <zlynx@....org>, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Len Brown <lenb@...nel.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: echo mem > /sys/power/state

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 00:47 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > Well, that would certainly help.
> > >
> > > I do test all of my patches and generally all of the patches I sign
> > > off, but surely that's not enough.
> >
> > please add a .config option dependent on CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y [and
> > default-disabled] that auto-tests suspend/resume functionality 60
> > seconds after hitting user-space (the suspend/resume cycle kept small
> > via a small RTC timeout) and s2ram correctness will be tested _a lot_
> > more.
> >
> > (it doesnt matter if graphics does not resume fine - at least for my
> > tests)
> >
> > kprobes had similar problems and it now has a few simple smoke-tests -
> > which i just saw trigger on a patch that i did not notice would break
> > kprobes. I think this should be done for all functionality that is not
> > regularly triggered by a normal distro bootup (and which is easy to
> > overlook in testing).
> >

> Seeing as we're so lame about being able to distribute userspace stuff:
> create a shell script in /proc/rc.kernel and start teaching initscripts to
> run it.  Then we can modify it at will.
>
> I hate me.

With all the discussion lately about boot-time smoketests and self-tests
maybe this kind of stuff would be a good first candidate for useful
new early-userspace functionality.  Then the kernel build could be
taught about building an initramfs that runs a bunch of tests
and leaves the user in a shell letting them know if it passed or not.

This would be a great way for increasing the number of testers, just
ask them to build with that option and a _known_ testsuite could
be reported as working or not.

Or maybe I'm out to lunch....

Harvey