Date:	Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:34:44 +0000
From:	Rachel Greenham <rachel.greenham@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: netatalk slow after system upgrade (possibly kernel problem?)

(this thread came up in searching about the problem myself, so joined
to post this, hence the 'broken' threading, I expect:)

Andrew Morton asked:

> It would be interesting if this could be repeated on bare hardware,
> so we
> can eliminate the possibility that it is some weird interaction with
> vmware.

I can confirm this; I'm seeing exactly these symptoms where the linux
box running netatalk is running natively, not in VMWare. VMWare server
is *installed* but only running in the sense that the vmnet interfaces
are active.

Which begs an obvious test... There's no change when I kill the vmware
networking (and all other) services. It still reckons it's going to
take 24 minutes to transfer a file a little under a gigabyte.

Although, in fact, this thread does present a likely temporary
workaround; to install a linux with an older kernel into vmware and
use that to serve my content. :-D

That Linux system is Ubuntu Gutsy all up to date on amd64.

rachel@mab:~$ uname -a
Linux mab.local 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 05:28:27 UTC 2007
x86_64 GNU/Linux

netatalk 2.0.3-6ubuntu1 (built with ssl)

I'm getting between 500KB/s and 1MB/s on copies from that machine to a
couple of macs on the local (gigabit) LAN. (They're both Intel macs
running Leopard all up to date.)

Conversely I'm getting between 20MB/s and 40MB/s on copies from the
macs to the netatalk server. (The variance is between the macs; one of
them seems to be copying about twice as fast as the other probably due
to issues of their own, but both clearly show that reading from
netatalk is heavily crippled.

NB: I also posted this as a bug on ubuntu launchpad here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netatalk/+bug/186327

But I noticed your precise question and thought I'd answer it. Don't
know how useful I can be in here but I can certainly respond to
requests for further info.

--
Rachel