Date:	Fri, 01 Feb 2008 21:05:18 +0100
From:	"Gerhard Pircher" <gerhard_pircher@....net>
To:	Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:11:19 +0000
> Von: Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@....net>
> CC: linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
> Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

> With this patch, early boot would use pages from lower PFNs. Without the
> patch, it would use memory from higher PFNs. That is the only real
> difference.
>
> 1. Is there any chance that all of your memory is not being properly
>    initialised?
Do you mean uninitialized hardware? That shouldn't be a problem, since
older kernels (e.g. 2.6.19 with platform patches for arch/ppc) are running
fine.

> 2. Any chance of seeing a dmesg log?
That's a little bit of a problem. The kernel log in memory doesn't show
any kernel oops, but is also fragmented (small fragments seem to have been
overwritten with 0x0). I could extract it by using the U-boot firmware,
but that takes some time, as the serial console is not yet working.
I tried to boot the kernel with 512MB and 1.5GB RAM. The amount of memory
doesn't have any effect and the amount of memory is reported correctly
in the kernel log.

> 3. If you boot with the patch reverted and then do something to consume
> all memory like build loads of kernel trees simultaneously, do you see
> any problems?
Well, I can't answer this question. The kernel currently locks up when
bisect it) and doesn't seem to be related to this problem.

Thanks for your help!

Gerhard