Date:	Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:38:02 +0300
From:	Vladislav Bolkhovitin <vst@...b.net>
To:	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com>
CC:	Bart Van Assche <bart.vanassche@...il.com>,
	FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori@....ntt.co.jp>,
	linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org, scst-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel

James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 20:56 +0300, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
>
>>James Bottomley wrote:

>>>Well, you've said it thrice (the bellman cried) but that doesn't make it
>>>true.
>>>
>>>The way a user space solution should work is to schedule mmapped I/O
>>>from the backing store and then send this mmapped region off for target
>>>I/O.  For reads, the page gather will ensure that the pages are up to
>>>date from the backing store to the cache before sending the I/O out.
>>>For writes, You actually have to do a msync on the region to get the
>>>data secured to the backing store.
>>
>>James, have you checked how fast is mmaped I/O if work size > size of
>>RAM? It's several times slower comparing to buffered I/O. It was many
>>times discussed in LKML and, seems, VM people consider it unavoidable.
>

> Erm, but if you're using the case of work size > size of RAM, you'll
> find buffered I/O won't help because you don't have the memory for
> buffers either.

James, just check and you will see, buffered I/O is a lot faster.

>>So, using mmaped IO isn't an option for high performance. Plus, mmaped
>>IO isn't an option for high reliability requirements, since it doesn't
>>provide a practical way to handle I/O errors.
>
> I think you'll find it does ... the page gather returns -EFAULT if
> there's an I/O error in the gathered region.

Err, to whom return? If you try to read from a mmaped page, which can't
be populated due to I/O error, you will get SIGBUS or SIGSEGV, I don't
remember exactly. It's quite tricky to get back to the faulted command
from the signal handler.

Or do you mean mmap(MAP_POPULATE)/munmap() for each command? Do you
think that such mapping/unmapping is good for performance?

> msync does something
> similar if there's a write failure.
>
>>>You also have to pull tricks with
>>>the mmap region in the case of writes to prevent useless data being read
>>>in from the backing store.
>>
>>Can you be more exact and specify what kind of tricks should be done for
>>that?
>
> Actually, just avoid touching it seems to do the trick with a recent
> kernel.

Hmm, how can one write to an mmaped page and don't touch it?