Date:	Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:30:16 +1100
From:	Michael Ellerman <michael@...erman.id.au>
To:	Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@....net>
Cc:	Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>, linuxppc-dev@...abs.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 23:20 +0100, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:42:32 +0000
> > Von: Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>
> > An: Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@....net>
> > CC: linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linuxppc-dev@...abs.org
> > Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

> > > Yeah, I know. But the platform code hasn't changed much when porting it
> > > from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc. That's why I'm a little bit lost in this
> > > case. :-)
> > >

> > I'm at a bit of a loss to guess what might have changed in powerpc code
> > that would explain this. I've added the linuxppc-dev mailing list in
> > case they can make a guess.
> Yes, I'll try to get some comments on the linuxppc-dev mailing list.
>
> > I think you are also going to need to start bisecting searching
> > specifically for the patch that causes these overwrites.
> I think I had a similar problem with kernel v2.6.23, too and therefore
> waited for kernel 2.6.24. So the problem may exist since a long time.
>
> > It's a virtual address so it depends on the value of CONFIG_KERNEL_START
> > as to whether this is a user program address or not.
> AFAIK start_kernel() is called very early in the boot process, were no
> user or kernel thread is active. I also wonder why the kernel crashes when
> the mem boot option is used. Let's see what the linuxppc-dev people say.

Can you post a fresh bug report? There's lots of details missing from
the email you forwarded.

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
OzLabs, IBM Australia Development Lab

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)