Date:	Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:26:19 +0100
From:	Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@...management.at>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	netatalk-admins@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: netatalk slow after system upgrade (possibly kernel problem?)

(I let full quote here for reference, my text is on the bottom)

On Sonntag, 27. Januar 2008 Andrew Morton wrote:
> (cc netdev)
>
> > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:55:42 +0100 Michael Monnerie
> > <michael.monnerie@...management.at> wrote: Dear lists,
> >
> > I've been spending a LOT of time trying to find out where's the
> > problem, but can't find it and therefore seek urgent help now. We
> > have the following system:
> >
> > Server with VMware server
> > -> VM running a webserver and netatalk
> > -> 2 other VMs not related
> >
> > The VM with netatalk was SUSE 10.0 with kernel 2.6.13-15.15-smp
> > (from SUSE), and things were pretty fun and quick. Then we upgraded
> > to SUSE 10.2 and now 10.3, where everything EXCEPT netatalk runs
> > perfect. Since this upgrade, Apple clients (MacOS X) now do READ
> > very very slowly (about 512KB/s over the gigabit LAN), while
> > writing to the server still is normal (>20MB/s). I've even retried
> > with the newest kernel 2.6.23.13, tried different
> > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control (cubic, reno, bic, etc.)
> > and nothing helps. I've then tried to install Samba and found that
> > we have similar problems reading with it from MacOS clients. Now
> > I'm pretty sure it should be something with the linux kernel, but I
> > don't understand what.
> >
> > Here are the wireshark dumps in pcap format:
> > http://zmi.at/x/atalk-write-fast.pcap
> > -> you can see writing to the server (192.168.120.9) is normal and
> > fast
> >
> > http://zmi.at/x/atalk-read-slow.pcap
> > -> reading is horribly slow. Lots of "unknown", because of netatalk
> > or what?
> >
> > http://zmi.at/x/unknown-atalk.pcap
> > -> another dump while reading, you see "unknown" reads. I'm not
> > sure if it's just wireshark not understanding the packets or
> > netatalk.
> >
> > And trying with samba:
> > http://zmi.at/x/smb-read-slow.pcap
> > http://zmi.at/x/smb-write-quick.pcap
> > you can see that it's also slow.
> >
> > Now why did it work with the old 2.6.13 kernel? I still have that
> > old VM, and when I start it, it is always perfectly fast. Only
> > newer versions are slow. Can somebody give me a hint please?
>
> It would be interesting if this could be repeated on bare hardware,
> so we can eliminate the possibility that it is some weird interaction
> with vmware.

I tested now on the same machine, outside of VMware: It is blazing fast,
just as it should be - kernel release 2.6.18.8-0.5-ZMI, where -ZMI
means I compiled the kernel myself. Still, it runs quick within the VM
with kernel 2.6.13-15.15-smp from SUSE 10.0, but slow with more recent
kernels (I couldn't test every combination of course).

I tried but cannot compile 2.6.13 within SUSE 10.3, it gives lots of
errors because libs changed.

It would be very nice to find the source of the problem. I uploaded the
kernel config options files onto my server for reference, HTH:

VMware with SUSE 10.0 and fast netatalk/samba:
http://zmi.at/x/config2.6.13-15.15.txt

VMware host, outside of VMware, also fast:
http://zmi.at/x/config2.6.18.8-host.txt

VMware with SUSE 10.2 and kernel 2.6.22-9-ZMI, slow:
http://zmi.at/x/config2.6.22.9-slow.txt

VMware with SUSE 10.3 and kernel 2.6.23.13-ZMI, slow:
http://zmi.at/x/config2.6.23.13-slow.txt

The problem seems to be somewhere between the kernel and VMware, but I
do not know what to do.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0676/846 914 666                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net                   Key-ID: 1C1209B4

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (195 bytes)