Date:	Thu, 7 Feb 2008 23:51:31 +0000
From:	Carlos Corbacho <carlos@...angeworlds.co.uk>
To:	"Ray Lee" <ray-lk@...rabbit.org>
Cc:	"Pavel Machek" <pavel@....cz>, "Len Brown" <lenb@...nel.org>,
	"kernel list" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ACPI_WMI: worst config description of all times

On Thursday 07 February 2008 23:33:54 Ray Lee wrote:
> Do you have list of hardware/platforms that require this feature to
> get the hardware to work? (acer abc123, tcm1100 xyz)

I have a very long list of Acer laptops that are supported - which is far too
long, and changes on far too much of a regular basis to put in there.

Perhaps adding something like "This driver is also a required dependency to
build the firmware specific drivers needed for many laptops, including Acer
and HP machines"?

(There's currently another ACPI-WMI based driver in development related to
more HP laptops, and acer-wmi also supports a handful of non-Acer laptops).

I don't think explaining what WMI is, and how ACPI-WMI is related to it is
that useful in Kconfig here; so I agree that further elaborating on the 'why'
this should be enabled is definitely worth doing.

> Better, if there are kernel drivers that require this (and currently
> only those drivers), then have those kernel drivers enable ACPI WMI,

Wouldn't that require 'select' though, and I'm led to believe that's seriously
frowned upon these days?

-Carlos
--
E-Mail: carlos@...angeworlds.co.uk