Date:	Mon, 11 Feb 2008 00:47:44 -0500
From:	Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@...il.com>
To:	"Carlos R. Mafra" <crmafra@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, venkatesh.pallipadi@...el.com
Subject: Re: [2.6.25-rc1 regression] Suspend to RAM (bisected)

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 03:25 -0200, Carlos R. Mafra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to report that suspend to RAM stopped working on my Sony Vaio
> VGN-FZ240E in 2.6.25-rc1 and that I could bisect the problem down
> to:
>
> commit bc71bec91f9875ef825d12104acf3bf4ca215fa4
> Author: venkatesh.pallipadi@...el.com <venkatesh.pallipadi@...el.com>
> Date:   Thu Jan 31 17:35:04 2008 -0800
>
>     ACPI: enable MWAIT for C1 idle

I normally hate to throw in a 'me-too', but I'm also seeing a
suspend-to-ram regression on my Thinkpad R61i that I've managed to
bisect down to the same patch series.

You beat me emailing the issue to the list by a few minutes :)

> The problem with suspend to RAM is that right after typing (from inside X)
> 'echo mem > /sys/power/state' the screen becomes black and the laptop
> freezes. I have to use SysRq+b to reboot.

My symptoms in this case are slightly different - the suspend appears to
work correctly, and is fast. However, when I resume, the screen lights
up quickly, but the system hangs for nearly a minute with the suspend
light still on solid before it actually resumes. No delay is visible in
dmesg; this apparently happens before the "return to C".

> I tried to revert the above commit (bc71bec) on top of 2.6.25-rc1, but
> the compilation fails. It turns out that I have to revert also 9a0b8415 and
> 9b12e18c to be able to compile without errors.
>
> After reverting the 3 commits mentioned above, the resulting 2.6.25-rc1 kernel
> can suspend to RAM again (and I must say that it is better that 2.6.24, because
> now it resumes directly into X and I don't need to use Crtl-Alt-F1 and Alt-F7 to

I just tried reverting the above-mentioned 3 commits, doing so fixes the
delay.

> The laptop is a Core 2 Duo T7250 2.0 GHz, running Mandriva 2008.0 in 64-bit mode, with the
> following graphics card:
> VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Rather similar system - I have a core 2 duo 1.5 running x86_64 gentoo,
and a GM965 chip (using uvesafb)

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@...il.com>