Date:	Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:14:23 -0800
From:	"Felix Marti" <felix@...lsio.com>
To:	"Roland Dreier" <rdreier@...co.com>,
	"Christoph Lameter" <clameter@....com>
Cc:	"Rik van Riel" <riel@...hat.com>, <steiner@....com>,
	"Andrea Arcangeli" <andrea@...ranet.com>, <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>,
	<izike@...ranet.com>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	<avi@...ranet.com>, <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
	<daniel.blueman@...drics.com>, "Robin Holt" <holt@....com>,
	<general@...ts.openfabrics.org>,
	"Andrew Morton" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	<kvm-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>
Subject: RE: [ofa-general] Re: Demand paging for memory regions

general@...ts.openfabrics.org;
> Andrew Morton; kvm-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [ofa-general] Re: Demand paging for memory regions
>
>  > > Chelsio's T3 HW doesn't support this.
>
>  > Not so far I guess but it could be equipped with these features
> right?
>
> I don't know anything about the T3 internals, but it's not clear that
> you could do this without a new chip design in general.  Lot's of RDMA
> devices were designed expecting that when a packet arrives, the HW can
> look up the bus address for a given memory region/offset and place the
> packet immediately.  It seems like a major change to be able to
> generate a "page fault" interrupt when a page isn't present, or even
> just wait to scatter some data until the host finishes updating page
> tables when the HW needs the translation.

That is correct, not a change we can make for T3. We could, in theory,
deal with changing mappings though. The change would need to be
synchronized though: the VM would need to tell us which mapping were
about to change and the driver would then need to disable DMA to/from
it, do the change and resume DMA.