Date:	Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:26:26 -0500
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject:  Driver removals

Just a general thought on removing drivers in general, when a driver is
removed because there's a better one, it would be good to have either a
message which shows up at "make oldconfig" time, or a file listing the
driver(s) which replace it.

Half the resistance to removing drivers is finding what is supposed to
replace the driver. For instance a list of all the drivers Adrian Bunk
has suggested to replace sk98lin, so users have something better than
searching the source code and/or LKML archive to find the next thing to try.

In general, if a driver works and is being used, until it *needs*
attention I see no reason to replace it. I don't agree that "it forces
people to try the new driver" is a valid reason, being unmaintained is
only a problem if it needs maintenance. I am not going to reopen that
topic, I'm simply noting a general opposition to unfunded mandates, and
requiring changes to kernel, module and/or rc.local config is just that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>