Date:	Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:25:48 +0100
From:	Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@...entia.net>
To:	Filippo Zangheri <filippo.zangheri@...oo.it>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: data corruption with dmcrypt/LUKS

Hi Filippo.

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 22:39 +0100, Filippo Zangheri wrote:
> have you conducted further tests? Have you discovered anything?
I actually conducted some tests last week (also with aes-cbc-essiv) but
wasn't able to reproduce the two errors (tested it on the same computer,
with the same USB-sticks, same commands, kernel 2.6.24 etc.).
I'm not sure if I should be glad about this,.. because I definitely had
those two problems, but of course it's still possible (though I consider
it unlikely) that there were hardware problems.

Today I copied a complete Debian installation (about 6 GB) from an
unencrypted partition to a luks/dm-crypt partition with aes-xts-plain
(according the Herbert Xu plain is the "most secure" and it's not
required to use the benbi mode for the IV generation).
I had no problems with this mode, too.

Best wishes,
Chris.

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (5108 bytes)