Date:	Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:08:13 -0500
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...nel.org>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Driver removals

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 02:07:41PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Adrian Bunk wrote:

>>> Keeping a working unmaintained driver in the tree is not a big deal -
>>> we have hundreds of them.
>>>
>>> But you miss the main point that removal of an obsolete driver with a
>>> new replacement driver forces people to finally report their problems
>>> with the new driver, thus making the new driver better.
>>>

>> You sure are proud of that new driver! People won't use it because the
>> old one is working fine, so you think it's fine to force them to make
>> changes in their system to use the new driver.
>>

> Sometimes what is best in the global picture is not what everyone
> subjectively considers to be the best thing for him.
>
> Well, our whole society is based on this principle...
>

>> Best case is it works
>> after costing the user some time, worst case it doesn't and breaks their
>> system, so they stop upgrading the kernel and don't get security fixes.
>>

> Instead of sending a bug report?

To get the system working.
> When removing an obsolete driver adult people suddenly start whining
> "the new driver didn't work for me when I tried it one year ago".
>
> And when asking where they reported the bug in the new driver the answer
> is that they didn't report it.
>
> Driver development heavily relies on getting bug reports when something
> doesn't work.

If you don't see an ethical problem in removing a working driver which
is not taking support resources, in order to force people to test and
debug a driver they don't now and never would need, so that it might in
time offer them the same functionality those users already had... then I
can never make you see why technological extortion is evil. People have
always moved to new drivers without pushing because they were *better*,
guess that model is dead.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still