Date:	Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:16:41 -0500
From:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>
To:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
Cc:	Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@...g.org>,
	LKML <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: very poor ext3 write performance on big filesystems?

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 03:03:44PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@...g.org> writes:
> >
> > Is it normal to expect the write speed go down to only few dozens of
> > kilobytes/s? Is it because of that many seeks? Can it be somehow
> > optimized?
>
> I have similar problems on my linux source partition which also
> has a lot of hard linked files (although probably not quite
> as many as you do). It seems like hard linking prevents
> some of the heuristics ext* uses to generate non fragmented
> disk layouts and the resulting seeking makes things slow.

ext3 tries to keep inodes in the same block group as their containing
directory.  If you have lots of hard links, obviously it can't really
do that, especially since we don't have a good way at mkdir time to
tell the filesystem, "Psst!  This is going to be a hard link clone of
that directory over there, put it in the same block group".

> What has helped a bit was to recreate the file system with -O^dir_index
> dir_index seems to cause more seeks.

Part of it may have simply been recreating the filesystem, not
necessarily removing the dir_index feature.  Dir_index speeds up
individual lookups, but it slows down workloads that do a readdir
followed by a stat of all of the files in the workload.  You can work
around this by calling readdir(), sorting all of the entries by inode
number, and then calling open or stat or whatever.  So this can help
out for workloads that are doing find or rm -r on a dir_index
workload.  Basically, it helps for some things, hurts for others.
Once things are in the cache it doesn't matter of course.

The following ld_preload can help in some cases.  Mutt has this hack
encoded in for maildir directories, which helps.

> Also keeping enough free space is also a good idea because that
> allows the file system code better choices on where to place data.

Yep, that too.

					- Ted

View attachment "spd_readdir.c" of type "text/x-csrc" (6552 bytes)