Date:	Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:29:44 -0800 (PST)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
cc:	Jesse Barnes <jesse.barnes@...el.com>,
	Jeff Chua <jeff.chua.linux@...il.com>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Dave Airlie <airlied@...ux.ie>, linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org,
	suspend-devel List <suspend-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	Greg KH <gregkh@...e.de>
Subject: Re: 2.6.25-rc2 System no longer powers off after suspend-to-disk.
 Screen becomes green.

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> I think we should export the target sleep state somehow.

Yeah. By *not* using "->suspend()" for freezing or hibernate.

Please, Rafael - just make the f*cking suspend-to-disk use other routines
already. 99% of all hardware needs to do exactly *nothing* on
suspend-to-disk, and the ones that really do need things tend to need to
not do a whole lot.

For example, the "freeze" action for USB (which is one of the hardest
things to suspend) should literally be something like just setting the
controller STOP bit, and waiting for it to have stopped. The "unfreeze"
should be to just clear the stop bit, while the "restart" should be just a
controller reset to use the current memory image.

NONE OF THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING TO DO WITH SUSPEND.

It never did. I've told people so for years. Maybe actually seeing the
problems will make people realize.

So please, we shouldn't call "->suspend[_late]" or "->resume[_early]" at
all. Not with PMSG_FREEZE, not with PMSG_*anything*.

Can we please get this fixed some day?

		Linus