Date:	Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:29:12 +0530
From:	Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@...earchut.com>
To:	Alasdair G Kergon <agk@...hat.com>
Cc:	device-mapper development <dm-devel@...hat.com>,
	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>,
	Christophe Saout <christophe@...ut.de>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, akpm@...ux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: [dm-devel] Re: 2.6.24 Kernel Soft Lock Up with heavy I/O in dm-crypt

On Saturday 01 March 2008, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:20:48PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:24:03 +0530 Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@...earchut.com>
wrote:
> > > Kernel: 2.6.24
> > > Tainted: Yes (nvidia proprietary drivers)
>
> Any chance you can try to reproduce it upstream e.g. in 2.6.25-rc3?

I can do that but only by Monday Evening IST.

Meanwhile I was able to reproduce the bug again with the same configuration
and the same scenario. So I believe that the bug can be reproduced
consistently.

Here are the steps:

1) Initialize a device using dm-crypt and LUKS
2) Create a filesystem on top of it and mount it.
3) Write huge amount of data (as a normal user). Something like 150GB.

As the load goes hight (to something like 12-14), the kernel lock-up is logged
into dmesg.
At that moment, the OS is barely responsive.

The I/O scheduler in use is:
rrs@...rner:/sys/block/sdb/queue$ cat scheduler
noop anticipatory deadline [cfq]

The kernel logs are the same like the last time but I'm attaching it. There
still is a delay of 11seconds.

Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com

View attachment "kernel.bug.new" of type "text/plain" (31059 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)