Date:	Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:24:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:	Dave Airlie <airlied@...ux.ie>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
cc:	Jonathan McDowell <noodles@...th.li>, xorg-driver-ati@...ts.x.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.25-rc3 + RS690 + DRM + xf86-video-ati hang

> > results in a machine that boots to GDM successfully. Likewise if I
> > disable CONFIG_DRM_RADEON in 2.6.25-rc3 the machine boots to GDM ok.
>
> is what we wanted to know, thanks.  Surely it's a plain old regression?

Nope, its a userspace driver problem.. we have not released
non-experimental code for that chipset, so its not surprising it fails
when the kernel code gets run, but the fix most likely is in userspace not
in the kernel.

I could disable the userspace DRI code but then where would I find my
testers .. if he reads his Xorg log it says DRI is experimental on rs690
and not to come crying..

this is the problem with adding new chipsets, I either wait for 6 months
for all the bugs to get kicked out so nobody wins, or I push it upstream
so most people win, I could back this out of the kernel, but experimental
userspace code isn't  a reason for this..

Dave.