Date:	Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:23:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:	Dave Airlie <airlied@...ux.ie>
To:	Jonathan McDowell <noodles@...th.li>
cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	xorg-driver-ati@...ts.x.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.25-rc3 + RS690 + DRM + xf86-video-ati hang

> Is xf86-driver-ati 6.8.0 not a proper release? I'm pretty sure the
> combination of that, 2.6.25-rc3 and CONFIG_DRM_RADEON causes my machine
> to become unresponsive. I only tried a git build of the driver after the
> released version was causing issues.

Yes we made a mistake with 6.8.0 enabling DRI on rs680 chips before we
knew it worked for everyone, I may be still able to fix this in the kernel
but there is a good chance that it'll require a 6.8.1 userspace, I can't
do anything else about it..

Jonathan I appreciate the bug report, I'm more saying to Andrew that
getting DRI right on new chipsets is non-trivial as there are lot of
configurations we can't test until we actually push the code to users..
and in this case you are one of those..

you might try setting the VRAM in your BIOS to 128MB instead of Auto and
seeing it helps..

I'll be trying to fix the problem properly quite soon.

The correct workaround is to add Option "DRI" "Off" to xorg.conf or for me
to travel back in time and unrelease 6.8.0. Removing the kernel DRI
support will just break lots of working systems.

Dave.