Date:	Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:07:26 -0500
From:	"Prakhar Krishna" <prakhar2@...il.com>
To:	"Bart Van Assche" <bart.vanassche@...il.com>
Cc:	"Jan Engelhardt" <jengelh@...putergmbh.de>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: How to compile kernel so it automatically reboots upon a crash instead of generating stack trace and then hang.

thanks everyone for the information.

can it be presumed that boot option panic=<x> would always reboot the machine
upon a crash/null pointer dereference if it is not stuck in a
deadlock? also, is there any
place in kernel where, if desired, the panic time can be hardcoded and compiled
for my specific test kernel.

intention is to look for a way to make a regular PC with linux OS
behave close to a
customized hardware appliance through software only mechanism. that
way it becomes
much easier to send just software to the users, which they can load on any
PC without requiring them to have additional hardware inserted into it.

please CC me on replies.

thanks
PK