Date:	Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:39:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:	Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
cc:	Alan Piszcz <ap@...arrain.com>
Subject: Is there a wireless PCI/e card that is supported in the kernel?

In the past, I used ndiswrapper etc but noticed that would freeze up my
laptop occasionally..

Obviously for a server machine if you are going to add a wireless card you
/probably/ do not want to be using ndiswrapper if it is an important host.

PCI-e: (D-Link DWA-556)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127218

PCI Cards:
This one seems to be the most popular one on newegg:
EDIMAX EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates
64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, AES - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
Pros: Ubuntu 7.10 (Gusty Gibbon) picked up this card without any need for
additional drivers. It has been running with 85% signal stregnth with the
router in the next room.
But then:
Cons: Drivers are still under development. The rt2x00 driver is in the
2.6.24 kernel, but it's somewhat buggy. Kernels built from the rt2x00
devel tree do work significantly better. Regardless of the kernel that I
tried, I was unable to put the card into master mode (for creating an
access point).

GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data
Rates 64/128 bit WEP, WPA, 802.1x, AES - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839121008
Pros: Just dropped it in and it works in 2.6.22-14 Ubuntu Gutsy x86 (just
tested WEP though). This was researched before purchase. Ralink open
sourced their drivers and the rt61pci driver is part modern kernels. Very
good price.

D-Link DWL-AG530 IEEE 802.11a/b/g 32-bit PCI Wireless Adapter Up to
108Mbps Data Rates 64-, 128-, 152-WEP 802.1x WPA.Wi-Fi Protected Access
(64-, 128-WEP with TKIP, MIC, IV Expansion, Shared Key Authentication
Supports Advanced Encrypti - Retail
Good reviews, but nobody mentions Linux.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127136

Any comments or success stories of GOOD working cards without the use of
ndiswrapper?

Justin.