Date:	Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:12:30 -0400
From:	Ric Wheeler <ric@....com>
To:	Daniel Phillips <phillips@...nq.net>
CC:	Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@...e.de>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Grzegorz Kulewski <kangur@...com.net>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

Daniel Phillips wrote:
>>> Where they control the hardware and run a rather specialized OS as well,
>>> not a general purpose system like Linux on "commodity" hardware ;-)
>> Actually, in Centera we use generic hardware with a fairly normal kernel
>> which has strategic backports from upstream (libata, nic drivers, etc).
>>
>> No UPS in the picture.  Data integrity is protected by working with the
>> application team to insure they understand when data is safely on the
>> disk platter and working with IO & FS people to try and make sure we
>> don't lie to them (too much ) about that promise.
>>
>> The centera boxes are tested with power failure & error injection and by
>> all of our customers in all those ways customers do ;-)
>
> Hi Ric,
>
> Right, so Linux has gotten to the point where it competes with purpose-
> built embedded software in reliability.  Not quite there, but close
> enough for mission-critical.

This is our case, but we have been working for quite a while to enhance
the reliability of the io stack & file systems. It also helps to be very
careful to select hardware components with mature, open source &
natively integrated drivers ;-)

> I was not thinking of Centera when I mentioned the UPS though...
>
> Daniel

No problem, we certainly have many boxes with built in ups hardware ;-)

ric