Date:	Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:05:30 +0100
From:	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
To:	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>
Cc:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	David Newall <davidn@...idnewall.com>,
	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>,
	Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
	"J.C. Pizarro" <jcpiza@...il.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: linux+glibc memory allocator, poor performance

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:48:31PM +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> >  I think it would be far better to create linux-flame and send the hostile
> >  stuff away. In a lot of cultures hostile responses or unfriendly
> >  more of.
>
> Do you honestly think we should be polite to people trolling on the
> LKML? The problem with kill-filing people like J.C. Pizzarro (a known
> troll on the GCC mailing list at least) is that other people will
> engange in discussing these "proposals" and contribute in generating
> noise anyway.

Being polite, understanding and grateful generally encourages people
to contribute and progress. Being sometimes rude helps them understand
they went too far, and gives more credit to your politeness in normal
time because you're seen as balanced. Being always rude or always
excessively polite just assigns you a style by which people don't know
what you really think. So using all the capabilities of the language
is finally the best solution to precisely express what you think.

Willy