Date:	Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:04:06 -0400
From:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>
To:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Cc:	Daniel Phillips <phillips@...nq.net>, Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>,
	David Newall <davidn@...idnewall.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 01:14:49PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > when you spend more money and buy all high end near-custom gear.  In
> > fact, the cheap stuff just keeps on chugging, because those guys can't
> > afford to have it break.
>
> They don't care if it breaks after 12 months, and for components and
> addons they don't care if it breaks, they just blame the end user for
> mis-installation or 'incompatibility'. There is a huge difference in
> quality between high end server boards and cheap desktop PC systems.

Actually, it's worse than that.  Users have been trained that when a
computer bluescreens and losing all of their data, it's either (a)
just the way things are, or (b) it's microsoft's fault.  Worse yet,
thanks to things like PC benchmarks, hard drive manutacturers have in
the past been encouraged to do things like lie to the OS about when
things had hit the hard drive platter just to score higher numbers on
winbench.

All of this is why I've in the past summed all of this up as Ted's law
of PC class hardware, which is that PC class hardware is cr*p.  :-)

            	    	      	       	       - Ted