Date:	Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:59:30 -0400
From:	Len Brown <lenb@...nel.org>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Eric Piel <Eric.Piel@...mplin-utc.net>,
	Tilman Schmidt <tilman@...p.cc>,
	Dave Hansen <haveblue@...ibm.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Thomas Renninger <trenn@...e.de>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	Markus Gaugusch <dsdt@...gusch.at>, linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org,
	Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjanv@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [2.6.25-rc5-mm1] BUG: spinlock bad magic early during boot

> For things like DVD install images, you'd quite possibly want to have a
> few known-workaround DSDT images with the installer, and just say "ok, we
> want to fix up this ACPI crap in order to get working suspend/resume" kind
> of thing.

For a Linux distro to ship DSDT override images, they'd have to
have some licensing & support arrangement with the OEM
who actually owns that BIOS code.

While this wouldn't defy any laws of physics, it doesn't
look compatible with current industry business practices.

OEMs are more likely to simply ship a BIOS update ISO.

-Len