Date:	Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:10:32 +0100
From:	"J.C. Pizarro" <jcpiza@...il.com>
To:	"Chris Snook" <csnook@...hat.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Why /proc/cpuinfo doesn't print L1,L2,L3 caches?

On 2008/3/25, Chris Snook <csnook@...hat.com> wrote:
> J.C. Pizarro wrote:
>  > On 2008/3/25, Chris Snook <csnook@...hat.com> wrote:
>  >> J.C. Pizarro wrote:
>  >>  > $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
>  >>  > processor       : 0
>  >>  > vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
>  >>  > cpu family      : 15
>  >>  > model           : 47
>  >>  > model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
>  >>  > ...
>  >>  > cache size      : 512 KB
>  >>  > ...
>  >>  >
>  >>  > The cache size is currently misinformed. It's not the real size because
>  >>  > it's 64+64+512 KiB = 640 KiB, not 512 KB.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > How can i know what hw-caches use the processors?
>  >>  > The current kernel doesn't know well what hw-caches uses.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > The good proposal is by example (the data below are not real):
>  >>  > * In old AMD Athlon64:
>  >>  >
>  >>  > cache L1        : 64 KiB I + 64 KiB D, 64 B line, direct way, ...
>  >>  > cache L2        : 512 KiB I+D-shared, exclusive, 128 associative way, ...
>  >>  > cache L3        : none
>  >>  >
>  >>  > * In Intel Core Duo:
>  >>  > processor       : 0
>  >>  > cache L1        : 32 KiB I + 32 KiB D, 64 B line, direct way, ...
>  >>  > cache L2        : 2048 KiB Cores-shared, inclusive, 128 associative way, ...
>  >>  > cache L3        : none
>  >>  >
>  >>  > processor       : 1
>  >>  > cache L1        : 32 KiB I + 32 KiB D, 64 B line, direct way, ...
>  >>  > cache L2        : 2048 KiB cores-shared, inclusive, 128 associative way, ...
>  >>  > cache L3        : none
>  >>  >
>  >>  > * In Quad:
>  >>  > processor       : 0
>  >>  > cache L1        : 32 KiB I + 32 KiB D, 64 B line, direct way, ...
>  >>  > cache L2        : 2048+2048 KiB pair-cores-shared, inclusive, 128
>  >>  > associative way, ...
>  >>  > cache L3        : none
>  >>  > ...
>  >>  > processor       : 3
>  >>  > cache L1        : 32 KiB I + 32 KiB D, 64 B line, direct way, ...
>  >>  > cache L2        : 2048+2048 KiB pair-cores-shared, inclusive, 128
>  >>  > associative way, ...
>  >>  > cache L3        : none
>  >>  >
>  >>  > It above is an example, put your symbols to /proc/cpuinfo in a
>  >>  > convenient manner.
>  >>  >
>  >>  >    Good bye ;)
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> I think you want this:
>  >>
>  >>  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache
>  >
>  > Thanks, but there is not easier manner to print the properties of hw-caches
> [...]

Well, i understand as if this cosmetic data formatting can break the grep of
some applications.

But if the modern PC has 6 or 8 cores then it prints an equivalent to
x6 or x8 common pages in a small xterm console of 80x25 although
the panoramic TFT is bigger as 23' 1900x1200 pixels.

Tomorrow, 32 cores, it prints x32 instead of x8.
Soon, it will need cosmetic data formatting.

Hahahaha ;)